POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Double planetoid again again : Re: Double planetoid again again Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double planetoid again again
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Mar 2008 08:10:00
Message: <web.47d13d8481b0d19d731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> Yes, I suppose this is a vast improvement indeed (render time I mean). The
> planetoid looks very well. If I remember correctly, there is no
> possibilities of communication between the human and the natural space,

Well, I think that might have been mentioned by Escher of the original image,
but that's not how I see it. I'm going for the 'buildings on a rock' reality
(with a modified version of gravity...:-)).

> If so, I am not too bothered by the vegetation growing inside those
> apparent gateways, otherwise that might be a bit distracting.

That wasn't the problem actually; some foliage appears only on walls because the
bushes are at an angle and the base is inside the wall. This is one of the
things I'm going to change. Other changes: a dirty texture for the walls,
tweaked radiosity and an area_light. I did a quick test with a 5x5 area light
last night and it trebled the render time :-(

Oh well, shouldn't grumble, I did buy that linux box solely to put it in the
spare room and leave it rendering for weeks on end...